Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother’s Day. A day that we honor the mothers in our lives. I have the privilege of having a great mother. I would be remiss if I did not point out that much of that which is good about me came from my mom. That’s the way motherhood works, it transfers things like character and integrity onto the next generation. I have also had the privilege of watching my wonderful wife grow into her role as a mother over the last 14 years with incredible skill and grace. This time I get to be on the observation end, watching all the little things about life being transferred into my children. Each of them, so very different as individuals, carries the unmistakable fingerprint of their mother. That’s one of the reasons I have such great kids. As a father, I am doing my best to raise leaders in my three kids. Difference makers. Influencers. But I realize that I cannot do this by myself. I need the aide of a good mother, and thankfully I have that in my wife.
Behind every great leader is a great mother! Don’t doubt me…and for proof just look at one of the greatest leaders in the Bible, Moses.


Passage for Reflection: Exodus 2:1-11

The tendency is to look at this passage and to focus on Moses. But don’t do that. Focus, instead, on his mother. Imagine having to give your baby away just to save his life! As I read this passage I come to understand very quickly why Moses ended up becoming such a leader and a man that the book of Hebrews later calls a man of faith. I see three ways in which Moses’ mom transferred great faith to her son.

1. Moses’ mother modeled faith. She stepped out in faith and defied Pharaoh’s order to have all newborn babies turned over to be put to death. She stepped out in faith and turned the baby loose into the waters hoping and praying that he would find favor with Pharaoh’s daughter. Not only was this crafty, but it was an act of faith. This would require God to get involved.

Hebrews 11:23 (ESV)
By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden for three months by his parents, because they saw that the child was beautiful, and they were not afraid of the king's edict.

2. Moses’ mother marked him with faith. Pharaoh’s daughter allowed Moses’ mother to be his nurse until he was grown, probably around age four. Can you imagine sending your child away after four years to never see them again? But did Moses forget? No way. His mom had marked him. He knew not only who he was but whose he was.

Hebrews 11:24 (ESV)
By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter,

3. Moses’ mother matured his faith. Notice these incredible words of Moses the leader:

Deuteronomy 6:4-8 (ESV)
4 "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.

Where did this maturity come from? Why the emphasis on teaching these words “diligently to your children”? Because Moses had this taught to him. By who? His mother!

Who was standing behind this great leader Moses? His mother.

So here’s to all the mothers out there. And may those of us entrusted with touching the lives of the next generation take the lessons of Moses’ mother and pass them on.

“Lord, may I model, mark, and mature faith in those around me. Amen.”

Blessings,
Jeff

1 comment:

Dozer said...

I have a mom...

Great post
Andrew Perkins