Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Faith of a Leader

Leadership is about control. At least that's the message that the world sends out. Good leaders control the events, people and circumstances around them, and bad leaders don't. But this view of leadership is flawed. It is flawed because there are far more things in the life of a leader that he cannot control than he can.

The measure of the greatness of a leader rests in how he deals with that which he cannot control, not that which he can. This is where the role of faith enters into the leadership equation.

For all the things I can control as a leader, I am forced to admit the numerous things I cannot control:

  • The weather,
  • World politics,
  • Taxes,
  • War,
  • People.

People are important. I can think I control people, but in reality, people cannot be controlled. Just look at the recent revolt in Iran over the fraudulent presidential elections. The cleric class can think they control the people of Iran, but given the right set of circumstances (that are out of their control) they can lose control of the people and perhaps even control of the country. Given the right set of circumstances, any leader can, very simply, lose his leadership.

So faith becomes an important quality in the life of any leader. As a pastor I want as many people as possible to come to church on Sundays. But I cannot control the weather. If it rains, not as many people show up. It reminds me that I can't control people either. So I have faith. I lead and do what I do and I trust God to take care of all the things I can't. You see, God can control the weather. God can even control geo-politics, taxes, war, etc. God can even exert control over people if He wants to.

For the Christian, faith in God becomes the trump card in leadership. As long as you have faith in God and trust in His sovereign guidance, you need not fear, or worry, or fret any of the worldly elements that you cannot control. You serve the One who can and does control it all.

Passage for Reflection:

Psalms 9:10 (ESV)
And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.

"Lord, I recognize my lack of control and I put my faith in you. Amen."

Blessings,

Jeff

1 comment:

Dozer said...

Your post reminds me of the Serenity Prayer.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it;
Trusting that You will make all things right
If I surrender to Your will;
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You
Forever in the next.
AMEN.