Saturday, November 14, 2009


I just finished a great book called The Long Snapper by Jeffrey Marx. I was first introduced to Marx when I read his other book, Season of Life. That first book is one of my all time favorite books, especially for men and especially for fathers. I give Season of Life away more than any other book I’ve read except for the Bible.

In The Long Snapper, Jeffrey Marx has given us another wonderful, and true, story. The subtitle is, A Second Chance, A Super Bowl, A Lesson for Life, and it chronicles the career and “second” career of Brian Kinchen, the LSU standout whose time in the NFL was cut shorter than he planned. Brian was left with a bad case of the “what if’s.” The book caught my attention immediately on the first page when the story begins in a Bible classroom at Parkview Baptist School, a ministry of Parkview Baptist Church, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Parkview was the church where I began my ministry career after graduating from college. My wife and I know many people in that church and school and have wonderful memories from our time there. I was struck at how small our world really is.

I won’t spoil the book for you BUT if you are looking for a great holiday read or if you know someone who struggles with the “what if’s” of life, this would be a nice giveaway.

Blessings,
Jeff

No comments: